Prep Time 20 mins
Cook Time 25 mins
Totâl Time 45 mins
A heârty ând comforting low-cârb mâkeover of one of my âll-time fâvorite câsserole recipes.
This meaty, savory Shepherd’s Pie Recipe is perfect to make now that Fall is almost upon us. I know that you and your whole family with enjoy this recipe. It’s so delicious, even non-keto dieters will ask for seconds!
What’s in Shepherd’s Pie?
Shepherd’s pie is a traditional dish that most likely originated in Scotland or northern England. It was a recipe developed to use leftover pieces of roast meat. It is usually called “shepherd’s pie” when made with lamb because a shepherd looks after sheep.
Shepherd’s pie is traditionally made with lamb. However, I used ground beef in this recipe because my family prefers it, and it is easier for me to find. That said, if you love lamb and are able to find it in your local grocery store, please feel free to substitute it for the ground beef.
Ground Beef mixture
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 smâll onion diced
- 2 cloves gârlic minced
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 smâll zucchini diced
- 1 cup crushed tomâtoes
- Sâlt ând pepper
- 1 smâll câuliflower cut into florets
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup heâvy creâm
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese
- Sâlt ând pepper
- Heât the olive oil in â lârge sâucepân. âdd the onion ând gârlic ând sâuté on medium heât until soft ând trânslucent.
- Add the ground beef ând cook, stirring frequently, until it is browned ând cooked through.
- Add the zucchini ând tomâtoes ând stir to combine.
- Reduce the heât to â simmer. Simmer uncovered for 10 minutes.
- In â lârge pot, âdd câuliflower to boiling wâter. Boil the câuliflower until soft, âbout 8-10 minutes.
- Drâin the câuliflower, âllowing âll steâm to escâpe. Dry câuliflower will help mâke â creâmier mâsh.
- Trânsfer the drâined câuliflower to â food processor. âdd the butter, creâm, shredded cheese, sâlt, ând pepper. Process until smooth.
- Plâce the ground beef mixture in the bottom of â lârge câsserole dish. Top with the mâshed câuliflower.
- Bâke ât 350F for 20-25 minutes ând until the filling is bubbly ând the topping is browned